- Roof, Chimney, & Flashing: Answers to important questions such as the type of roof, its present condition and approximate age, and the likelihood of replacement in the coming years is discussed with the client. The chimney and flashing condition is also inspected and documented in the report.
- Exterior: An examination of the property’s exterior is conducted. The conditions of wall surfaces, flashing integrity and trim are evaluated, and entryway doors and windows are examined for proper operation and condition.
- Structure: Examination of the foundation, floor and wall structure, columns, ceiling and roof structure. Structural components are further evaluated when deterioration is suspected. Any visible signs of water penetration are documented.
- Interior: The interior inspection involves such areas as the walls, floors and ceilings. Doors and windows are checked for proper operation. Notations are made if signs of water penetration exist.
- Heating System: The energy source along with the type of equipment and distribution system is evaluated and recorded in the report as well as the approximate age of the equipment. Systems are operated and visually examined by opening readily accessible access panels.
- Air Conditioning Systems: Central air conditioning equipment is inspected and system capacity and approximate age is recorded in the report. The cooling system is operated (if temperatures permit) and visually examined by opening readily accessible access panels.
- Insulation & Ventilation: Observations and notations are made concerning the type and amount of insulation and whether vapor barriers exist in unfinished areas. Ventilation is checked in attics and foundation areas, along with kitchen, bath and laundry venting systems.
- Electrical System: Service equipment, grounding, and main and distribution panels are checked. Polarity and grounding of receptacles are observed. Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters are tested for proper operation.
- Plumbing System: All above ground interior supply and service lines are observed, piping materials are recorded, and fixtures and faucets are checked. Functional water flow and drainage are observed. Hot water systems are checked for operation and the condition of the system is recorded in the report.
- Appliances: All built in kitchen appliances are operated to ensure they function as intended.